Friday, October 21, 2011

Silly pill, glad I'm off it now

Well after 6 years of being on hormone based contraceptives, coming off it has made me realise what side effects they had. I've realised that my libido had taken a nose-dive while I was on the pill! I've never been the most "lustful" women, I struggle to understand how people can get quite so carried away that they have one-night stands or affairs, because I find my brain is too much in charge for something like that to happen (which is great!). When I've decided something that's important to me, then I'm quite firm about it e.g. I don't like smoking, so even when drunk I'm not going to start smoking, if anything I'll go into preaching-mode against smoking!

After a quick search online, it seems that decrease in libido is not uncommon for people on Cerazette and it looks like I should be greatful that I didn't have mood swings as well! I can't complain much about the little pill, it took my periods away 98% for the year, which meant I had no period pain or the expense of buying sanitory products. Now is the best time to have an increased libido - when we're trying for a baby! Coming off the pill has reassured me that it wasn't me imagining me being less keen, also I've spoken to my newly married friend whose told me that she's felt a decrease too, so I was able to reassure her! I guess it's just the sacrifice we have to make after playing God with our hormones!

No comments:

Post a Comment