Sunday, October 16, 2011

Coralie & Dans

We spent the weekend (Fri-Sun) with our friends Coralie and Dan, in London, because we went to a Christian New Media conference on Saturday.

Coralie is pregnant, and the conversation on Friday night ended up on the subject of when they'd decided to start trying for a baby, or should I say when they "stopped trying to NOT have a baby". Well, we decided to share where we're at! It was great to chat with them. Coralie & I looked through her pregnancy book & chatted, while Andy & Dan had a manly chat!

It's been interesting reading the pre-trying stuff in her book, although it does seem like a "perfect guide". For example it says have NO alcohol from trying onwards... Eat perfectly... Check full family history & get tons of health checks before even considering to try for a baby. I'm not sure the doctor I saw would have suggested checking my Rubella immunity, before getting preggers, if I hadn't mentioned it. The doctor I saw, basically checked I didn't smoke, and wasn't an alcoholic, and then said that if I needed a drink to relax in the evening, then that was fine. Well I think somewhere in the middle is the best way to go - rarely drinking, but an odd drink won't hurt. After reading the book, it seems like I basically need to do similar to what I did when I was on Weightwatchers - good balanced healthy diet, exercise, lack of alcohol. After
talking to Coralie & another friend whose trying, it really does seem that I've done more prep than many.

I'm glad I got a chance to read her book, because now I know what it advises to avoid in the early stages, which I can avoid while trying. I've given up using Cod Liver Oil tablets (& taken up wateraerobics), I know Ibruprofen is best to avoid (as can't use when pregnant), as is the more risky/less cooked foods (which I don't really eat anyway). I now really don't drink much, I might have an occasional small glass of wine at home, but less often.

Being a driver is really going to help me in the 1st few months of pregnancy when I'm trying to keep quiet about it: "sorry I can't drink, I'm driving"! I've already started this tactic. Christmas & New Year could be a bit interesting though, but a few people know we're trying (I can't keep my mouth shut to everyone), so they might take the pressure off me.

No comments:

Post a Comment